Monday, January 12, 2009

No Such Thing as Me Time





Selfishness. It's been a struggle. I have the occasional joy-filled, day of peace, and I think: "I will never leave this place, Lord, it's so GREAT being here with You!" But then the next day I take my eyes off HIM and I look down.

Heeeyyyyy... Look at me! Wow! I'm so spiritual. And then... I stumble. But I justify it, right before I CRASH.

I haven't been able to see it though. I haven't been able to understand why it is that keep falling. I KNOW what's right. I KNOW I'm ignoring the needs of my children in favor of my own selfish desires for entertainment, ease, and 'me time'.



That's right people. "Me time".




What is that? Who ever said we were entitled to it and how did it become so inflated in importance? It sounds awful! Listen.




Me. Time. Time for ME!! What about ME?? ME! MINE! ME, ME, ME!! ME First! ME Time! Me and I are friends. I never get to read a book alone. I can't even go potty alone. I wish I had some time to myself.


No. Me time is a child of the Enemy. Let's not kid ourselves.

The only thing any of us needs is time with Jesus. JESUS. TIME. What about JEsus? Time for JEsus, anyone? JESUS, HIM, HIS, Jesus First! JESUS TIME.



And hey, Jesus is a people person. I'm sure He wouldn't mind if we invited him to breakfast makin' time with the kids. Or if I begged him for peace of mind whilst driving to the store for groceries with a loadful of whiny kids in the back... I think He'd be pleased to come, actually. And the great thing about Christ is, you're always alone with Him. Even in a room full of people. I like that about my Saviour.




Anyway. I was washing dishes Sunday morning, kicking myself for the failures of yesterday. Again... and I threw up a prayer, one of those desperate ones where you don't half expect an answer. My immediate answer was: "you took your eyes off ME, keep your eyes on Jesus, and you'll have no problems obeying." Oh.



Turn your eyes upon Jesus;

Look full in HIs wonderful face,

And the things of earth will grow strangely dim,

In the light of His glory and grace.

Thus the hymn above.
So, today I'm keeping my eyes on Jesus... and hoping the things of earth are a little dimmer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Penny for your Thoughts...?